Thursday, August 10, 2017

Testing out the Commlite CM-AEF-MFT Lens Adapter on Olympus OM-D EM-1 (Birding)

I have been using the Olympus system in my birding photography for sometime until I find the reach a little too short for my liking and gotten myself the Sigma 150-500mm instead. I used it on my Canon 7D.

Subsequently in my attempt to consolidate my gear, I sold off my Canon system and decided to use the Sigma lens via the mc-11 converter on my Sony a7ii. Then, I find that one of the downside of using crop mode on the Sony is that I lose pixels and the reach isn't much different.

© Edward Chen

So I decided to get the Commlite CM-AEF-MFT lens adapter and try the Sigma lens (and possibly all other Canon EF lenses) on the Olympus system. 


Below are some of the photos taken with that combination. 

Notice that the lens profile is built-in the raw file as well (although it's not an Olympus lens). All EXIF data are communicated and saved in the photos.


© Edward Chen


© Edward Chen

© Edward Chen

© Edward Chen

© Edward Chen

First Impression


The Sigma 150-500mm is quite a heavy lens. Previously I used the light (very light) Olympus 75-300mm ii on it for birding. So they are very different in terms of weight and overall shooting experience. I had to use a monopod for the Sigma as I get tired easily due to its weight.

The adapter may still move a little while mounted on the camera. So I would not recommend hand-holding the system while the lens is attached to the camera via the commlite adapter. You should hold the lens by its handle when walking or attach the lens to a monopod / tripod to be safe.

And do not expect any weather sealing as well.

As for focusing, the camera uses the phase detect autofocus mode when this lens is attached. The focusing is quite fast, however, I find many of the photos taken are out-of -focus. I am not sure what is the actual cause of the problem. I did read somewhere before that contrast detect focusing is alot more accurate.

I will continue experimenting with this combination.


What do you think?


No comments:

Post a Comment